Wythenshawe Town suffer defeat in top of the table clash

untitledA top of the table clash at Ericstan Park saw Poynton claim all three points, as they ran out 3-1 winners over Wythenshawe Town.

The visitors started the game the stronger side and could have been ahead inside the first minute when striker Rick Tindall intercepted a back pass from Wythenshawe’s Chris Curley to goalkeeper Ben Daniels, but Rick Tindall saw his effort well saved by the Wythenshawe goalkeeper.

On eight minutes the visitors had another chance to take the lead when they had a free kick on the edge of the Wythenshawe penalty area but Ash Crank saw his effort well saved by Ben Daniels who managed to get across his goal and parry the ball clear.

Just a minute after the visitors second chance of the opening ten minutes, the hosts had a great chance to take the lead when Shaun Williams cross was met by striker Rico Stewart but his headed attempt went inches wide of Simon Nicol’s post. On 26 minutes Wythenshawe took the lead when Shaun Williams, on his debut picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and saw his shot take a deflection and wrong foot Simon Nicol and nestle in the bottom corner.

The lead was short lived though as just two minutes later the visitors equalised from a  corner, which was flicked on at the front post and it fell to Josh Stafford who was unmarked in the Wythenshawe penalty area and he headed home beyond Ben Daniels.

Just before halftime Wythenshawe had an opportunity to pull level when they won a free kick about 25 yards out but Shaun Williams direct shot was straight down the throat of Simon Nicol who made a routine save.

After the break both teams were trying to find the third goal of the game and take the lead, and the best chance of the opening exchanges fell to the hosts, after good work down the left, Ash Leatherhead beat Poynton fullback Iain Bailey and got his head up looking to cross the ball into the box but saw his cross rebound off the crossbar.

Just before the hour mark Poynton took the lead when Rick Tindall had the ball just inside the hosts penalty area and he played it through to Matt Toole, who fired across goal and beyond Ben Daniels into the far corner. On 61 minutes the visitors had another chance to increase their lead, after a good bit of play on the edge of the area the ball fell to Josh Stafford and he fired across goal but his shot went inches wide of Ben Daniels far post.

On 65 minutes Wythenshawe Town’s afternoon got worse when Chris Curley received his marching orders after picking up a second yellow card. After going down to ten men the hosts went all out attack replacing centre half Dan Davis with Doughie Carroll who is back for his second spell at the club.

Despite the hosts making an attacking change, it was the visitors who had the chance to wrap the points up when they won a penalty in the final ten minutes, but Rick Tindall saw his penalty well saved by Ben Daniels in the Wythenshawe goal. Just four minutes later and the visitors did get their third and final goal of the match when they intercepted the ball on halfway and ran at the Wythenshawe back four and a cross from the left was met by Rick Tindall who was completely unmarked in the area and he headed beyond Ben Daniels to ensure all three points were heading back Poynton.

Leave a Reply