Wythenshawe Town come from behind to notch up another victory

untitledWythenshawe Town 3-1 Garswood United

Wythenshawe Town came from behind to win  3-1 against bottom of the league Garswood United at the weekend.

The hosts began the game the stronger team, but it was the visitors who could have taken the lead after just seven minutes when a corner taken by Martin Seddon and was met by Matthew Rochford but his header was cleared off the line by the Wythenshawe defence.

Just a minute later Wythenshawe won a penalty after Niall Rhodes was upended by Garswood goalkeeper Stanley Keane, after he latched onto a long ball from captain Richard Gresty. But Keane made up for his error as he saved Antonio Dinchin’s penalty low down to his right. 

Wythenshawe’s David Moreno had a half chance when he picked up the ball from an Ash McGrath cross on the edge of the area, but his shot went harmlessly over the top of the visitor’s crossbar. The hosts kept the pressure on and continued to create chances and perhaps could have taken the lead just before the half hour mark when fullback Jake Gregory put a great ball in the box and Niall Rhodes met it but his shot was well saved by Stanley Keane in the Garswood goal.

Just after the half hour mark a bit of great play down the left from Antonio Dinchin saw his cross reach Niall Rhodes who then pulled the ball back to midfielder Ash McGrath but his shot was straight at Stanley Keane.

Just before the break Garswood had a couple of opportunities to take the lead, firstly when they intercepted a Wythenshawe throw in deep in the hosts half and the ball slid under the foot of Lee Hargreaves and Garswood striker Steven Scahill ran onto the loose ball but he fired into the side netting. On the stoke of half time, Garswood won a corner and Martin Seddon put the ball into the box and it was met by Sebastian Apter but his header was deflected off his own man and went inches wide of Ben Daniels post.


Straight after the interval Garswood got a corner and it was delivered to the far post where Ken Dixon was completely unmarked and he headed beyond the helpless Ben Daniels to give the visitors the lead. Straight from the kick-off Wythenshawe went up the other end and David Moreno beat Garswood fullback Jack Duffy and pulled the ball back for Antonio Dinchin who slammed home to draw the hosts level.

Wythenshawe took the lead on 55 minutes when David Moreno picked up a misplaced pass in the middle of the pitch and ran at the Garswood defence and managed to slot beyond the on coming goalkeeper Stanley Keane.  The hosts could have added to their lead when they hit Garswood on the counter attack and the ball was played through from Cyril Owulabi to Antonio Dinchin but his effort from inside the area ended up in the side netting.

With twenty minutes remaining a good bit of play between David Moreno and Niall Rhodes saw, Rhodes free on the edge of the area but his shot was straight at Stanley Keane. Just a couple of minutes later and Niall Rhodes did have his deserved goal when he picked the ball up in the box and fired across Keane in the Garswood goal and the ball ended up in the bottom corner.  Another good bit of football from the hosts nearly saw them score their fourth of the afternoon when midfielder Moreno spun Ken Dixon and passed to Niall Rhodes on the edge of the area who flicked the ball to the unmarked Dan King but he saw his shot go over the bar.

A victory for Whalley Bridge keeps them at the top of the Cheshire League Premier League, but Wythenshawe’s win means they are still breathing down the league leaders necks in second place.

Town’s next clash is away to Greenalls St Padgates on Saturday.


Leave a Reply