Pair pictured posing with lethal blade are jailed for killing of Wythenshawe teenager following retrial

Anthony EllisA man who was involved in the killing of a Wythenshawe teenager has had his murder conviction overturned and has been jailed for manslaughter following a retrial.

Anthony Ellis (pictured left), formerly of Hollyhedge Road and Kelvin Wilhelm, (below) formerly of Laburnam Road, Gorton, were both jailed for life in November 2010 for the killing of 18-year-old John Mulldowney at a party in Benchill Hill.

But their convictions were last year overturned by Appeal Court judges who ruled the original jury had not been fully instructed on the issue of ‘murderous intent’.

Kelvin WilhelmA subsequent retrial found Ellis, aged 27, guilty of manslaughter and given a 10 year jail sentence. He could be released on licence in December next year.

Wilhelm, aged 30, was convicted again of murder following the retrial and must serve at least 20 year in prison before he is eligible for parole.

The men had been caught on video posing with a lethal 12 inch blade and wearing stab vests on the night of the killing.

The pair had been drinking with John at a house on Hollyhedge Road in Benchill on the evening of Sunday 13 June 2010. A number of other friends were also there.

Witnesses said that Ellis and Wilhelm were both seen brandishing a 12-inch knife during the course of the evening.

In the early hours of Monday 14 June, Wilhelm became aggressive with the group and said that someone had stolen his cannabis and mobile phone.

Sometime before 3am Wilhelm demanded that the men present take their trousers off to show they were not hiding anything.

While others did this, John refused and got into a struggle with Wilhelm. Ellis joined in to help Wilhelm. Screaming was heard from outside the house.

Police and paramedics attended and John was taken to hospital for treatment to a single stab wound to his chest. He was pronounced dead a short time later.

Ellis and two others who were still in the house and were arrested. Wilhelm went to a police station the next day as he was wanted on recall to prison, and was arrested on suspicion of murder.

In a statement, John’s mother Jeanette Toner said: “I love my five children all the same but John held a shine in my heart. He was a smart, clean, fresh faced young man with manners.

“I am finding it difficult to put into words the pain I feel. No other pain has ever compared. No matter what happens to those who ended John’s short but precious life my heartache will never end.

“The re-trial has only served to open old wounds. Our suffering is no less, four years down the line.”

Detective Chief Inspector Graham Brock said: “This was a gathering that turned rowdy in the most tragic of ways.

“Wilhelm’s actions were that of a violent man who was firstly threatening people he called his friends with a knife, and then showed he was willing to inflict a fatal stab wound on John.

“Ellis was complicit in the murder as he egged on Wilhelm and did nothing to stop the stabbing.

“Our thoughts remain with John Muldowney’s family who have had to endure a second trial. I hope the sentence today gives them some comfort and that they are able to move on with their lives.”

Leave a Reply